Thursday, April 12, 2007

Q&A - Maple Syrup

A while back, I said I would answer these questions in a post, so I thought I should do that. :o)

Does your son get involved every time your beloved makes it?
Yes. He loves to help his dad. :o) He helps gather the sap. Today they went out on the tractor to gather up some wood for the stove. He spends quite a bit of time at the sugar shack while my husband is boiling the sap, but he also like to run up here to the house and have a little break. ;o)

Is it only during a certain time of year that he can make it?
Yes. Maple sugaring time is for about 4-6 weeks in the spring. In order for the sap to run, the temperatures need to be below freezing at night and above freezing in the daytime. It also helps if the sun is shining, as that draws the sap up from the roots.

When my Big Sweetie is boiling it down to put into the bottles, he has to boil it until it reaches 7 degrees above the boiling point of water. That is when he knows it's finished.

No comments: